Wednesday, May 25, 2011

And now I take up Gardening...

So, I found out about 2 months ago that there is a community garden in our neighborhood and there are some plots available if I am interested. So just before Easter I pay the $15 fee for the year and get a key to the garden and go to the store to get some plants and seeds, and the fun begins.

I planted 3 tomato's, green chilies, jalapenos, radishes, carrots, cucumbers, squash, lettuce, melons, onions, garlic and basil, but it did not grow (or I can not find it in all the rest of the stuff that is growing). I am having a lot of fun and my garden is the envy of everyone, I was one of the first to plant my plants in the garden so it is the fullest bed out there. I planted the tomato's, jalapenos, green chilies and squash from growing plants and all the rest from seed.

Today I was at the garden watering and was visiting with some friends, Josh and Jess, who have a garden there now, next to mine and I got a second garden that we are sharing with just corn in it for now, we planted it last weekend from seed so we have a few more days before we see any growth. We were looking at my bed and decided that I need to thin out the carrots so I am going to have to transplant some of them to the other bed. I decided to check the radishes to see if they need to be thinned out and I find some radishes ready to pick...

We took out 6 of them and washed three of them and tried them out, I brought the others home and used them in the salad I made for lunch tomorrow, and guess what the lettuce is from my garden also, I have been picking it and using it for about a week now it is pretty good...
I am excited for the rest of the garden to ripen and be harvested, I am going to have so many tomatoes and lots of squash and if the melons keep doing as well as they are I will have lots of melons also. I will keep you all posted as I get more food from the garden.

No comments: