Sunday, June 5, 2011

And Home From TSP...

I had a great time at the Texas Star Party (TSP), this was my first time there and even though the skies did not cooperate so much I still had fun. I was able to get in some observing the first and second day there and then on the fourth day I was able to get in a few hours of observing before the clouds moved in. I will post some more of the sketches I did soon. I met a lot of people at TSP and made some new friends I am hoping to see again next year when I go again (I am planning on going again). It was amazing to see so many people who all enjoy looking at the stars, some using their eyes and some using their cameras or computers to photograph what they are wanting to see.

On the way home from TSP I stopped in Valentine, TX to take some photos of a couple of buildings I had noticed on the way to TSP. An old abandoned home and windmill...
I like the way buildings decay and change over time, especially when they are abandoned and forgotten about. this building. It seems that Valentine, TX does not have a shortage of these buildings, it is a very small place but I noticed at least a half dozen buildings have collapsed or are in some state of collapse just like this one.

But at the opposite end of town is the Prada Store, it is a "sort-of" art exhibit for Marfa, TX just down the road from Valentine. It is a lonely building in the middle of nowhere (almost) with some Prada shoes and bags on display. I do not think they are real Prada, but they where at one time, quite some time ago the store was broken into and the real stuff was stolen and replaced with replica product, at least that is what I have heard.
Here is the Prada Store in Valentine, TX; I have heard about it and have always wanted to see it imagine my surprise when on the way to TSP I drive right past it. So I made a point to stop and photograph it on my way home from TSP. It is so cool, just sitting there all by itself the Prada Store, I am looking foreword to stopping again next year and seeing how and if it has changed in any way.




No comments: