Thursday, September 20, 2012

Picacho Opens Soon

I posted some of these late last year, and now the students will be moving in on Monday. This was the second project I worked on when I moved to Las Cruces and it is the 1st project I did from beginning to end, it is my 1st building.

We met with the staff at Picacho early in 2011 to find out exactly what they needed. When we got back to the office my boss, Gary, asked me to come up with some initial ideas and options for the new building. I sat down with some trace and over the next few days sketched out 5 or six ideas. We sat down and looked at what worked and did not work and I then narrowed it down to 3 options and after a little more discussion and presentation to the school we settled on an initial design. We are designing a new music building and then remodeling the existing spaces.

At that point I had to sit down and work out the sizes and locations for each of the needed spaces. After a couple of weeks and a few more meetings we had a fairly good floor plan to begin some actual drawings. I then began to learn Revit because I decided to use this project as a learning tool for the program (I am not yet a Revit fan). After working out some issues we were on are way to working drawings, I had a couple people in the office to help me out and we were off.

This was the 1st building that I was the primary designer and project manager for. I took this building from conception through construction documents and now through construction administration. This building is only a part of the entire project, but it is the largest part and it is a stand alone building. We also remodeled all the restrooms throuhout the school to make them ADA accessible (completed this summer) and once the student move into this building we will begin a remodel of the existing music rooms (to be completed in about 2 1/2 months).
An initial elevation.

An initial Sketch Up model.

The completed building.

The building lobby.
 
The Orchestra Room.

No comments: