Tuesday, February 8, 2011

February 5th Visit to the VLA...

I went up to Socorro this past weekend to visit with my friend Judy and to go out to the VLA to look at the site for a sundial exhibit they are working on. I am going to do some concept sketches for them and I wanted to take some photos of the site to work with. I took lots of photos and also took some panoramas and have put a couple of them together.

I am never disappointed with the vistas in New Mexico, this is such a beautiful state and how amazing to see so much technology (VLA) out in the middle of nothing almost, it is so amazing to see all these radio antennas stretched out along the plains of New Mexico. This truly is a "Land of Enchantment" and I am very glad to live and work in such an amazing place.


If you look closely you will notice quite a few extra antennas in this panorama; I really like the program I am using for these (it came with my camera) but if you are not careful when you select the images to stitch together it will find matches and almost seamlessly add them to the rest of the panorama. It looks like it was able to match up the mountain ranges in the distance. It still came out pretty cool, even if it is not correct.

1 comment:

Raqueeb Hassan said...

Great posting, pictures too.

Being an avid fan of Carl Sagan's books, visiting this VLA at Socorro stays at one of my 10 top listed sites to be visited in days to come.

Here's one of my post related to it.

http://raqueeb.wordpress.com/2008/12/26/ten-best-incredible-places-you-want-to-go-before-you-die/

I reside here in Bangladesh; have plans to visit San Francisco this year. As I figured - for a reasonably priced tour plan, I have to get to VLA via Greyhound with a overnight stay at Socorro for a whole day tour next morning.

Now, should I get to Magdalena, NM instead as it seems to be closer to VLA sites. As I don't have International driving license, renting car is not an option for me. Do they have tour bus or shuttle from Socorro or Magdalena to VLA sites and back?

I had been looking for your e-mail in your site without any luck, would you please be able to suggest on getting around there? What might be the cheaper option on getting there? Is it better to fly or using greyhound buses to get to VLA from San Francisco?

Thank you in advance.

--
Raqueeb Hassan
Bangladesh